Tag line

A convention of my happenings and ideas



Friday, September 14, 2012

Book Worms

I'm big on reading and I read to both of my boys since they were babies. Every night we'd look at books and read together before bedtime. I think that played a big part in why C knew all his letters (and what sounds they made) before he turned two. J knew them by 2 and a half.

As if this weren't enough, C did a commercial for Hooked on Phonics two years ago, so we were given a set of books by the company. C, and now J, have been using them since then. It makes me very proud to see that all this time I've invested in sitting with them and helping them learn has paid off. Here is a video of J reading, back in July (when he used to confuse his b's and d's) at age 3.



As far as C goes, he just started first grade. They gave him a reading test in school the other day and he scored in the 95th percentile nationally. I was told that his IRL (instructional reading level = 80% proficiency) was 2.6 and that he should be picking books that range from 2.4-3.4. In other words he reads at a mid second grade level and should be picking books that are 2nd and 3rd grade books.

I guess that explains why he's almost done reading this book:
 
...and why he picked this book out at the book fair this week.


(we're big on Halloween in my house)


If you ask him though, he claims that he does not like books.  Yesterday, he was doing his homework and he had to cut out pictures of things that he was passionate about:

Me:  What about books?  You're passionate about books.
C:    No, I don't like books.
Me:  Oh really?  Then why did you buy a book at the book fair yesterday.
C:  Cause it's a "book fair" (complete with air finger quotes).

LOL, I love my little book worms...even if they are in denial.


No comments:

Post a Comment